Wednesday 28 August 2013

The greatest lesson life has taught me —Uru Eke


The greatest  lesson life has  taught me  —Uru Eke

Born in East London in the United Kingdom, talented actress Uru Eke got her first movie break in 2005 when she featured in the movie Ebony directed by Obi Emelonye. The beautiful actress left the scene for a while to pursue other passions but she returned to the movie scene in 2011 and ever since she has not looked back. Uru revealed more about her sojourn thus far in the world of make-belief among other sundry issues in this interview with AHMED BOULOR.

IS it true that you decided to take to acting after featuring in a documentary about Nollywood on CNN’s Inside Africa?
That’s far from the truth. I featured in my first Nollywood film in 2005 and that was in London. The film was entitled Ebony and it was directed by Obi Emelonye. Ever since then, I’ve been in and out of Nollywood until I returned fully to the scene in 2011.
How did you get the role for that your first movie?
I was invited to audition for the movie; the invite was handed over by Obi Emelonye who is a friend of mine. On the day of the audition, I left before it was my turn and I didn’t get the chance that day. Fortunately for me, he held another audition which I attended and I was lucky enough to clinch a role.
What was your first time on set like; were you nervous?
I wasn’t nervous at all; it was more of excitement and the thrill of being on my first movie set.
What is the first thing you do when you get a movie script?
I read the script at least twice and maybe a third time, when I’m comfortable with what the character requires of me, I may watch a film that I feel I can draw some inspiration from. I do that in order for me to be able to effectively interprete my role.
Why did you leave your job as an IT consultant at Zurich Financial for a career as an actress?
I wanted to live my dream; you know the saying, “if you do a job you love, you’ll never work another day in your life”, so right now I’m not working, I’m basically cruising through life doing something I passionately love.
What actually informed your decision to go into full-time acting?
It’s been a life-long dream of mine to be an actress, ever since I can remember. So it was only a natural progression that at some point in my life I follow that path.
Did you make any kind of research on Nollywood before you ventured into the industry, considering the fact that you spent most of your early years in the UK?
Most definitely I did; I read about the industry, the people who started it, various marketers, producers and the films they had done.
How would you describe your career at the moment?
It’s been great; I’ve worked on some great projects which will be coming out very soon. I’m also working with a fabulous publicist and I am meeting amazing people as I grow. I thank God for everything because when I decided to go into acting full-time, I wasn’t sure what to expect but it’s been all good and the prospects are enticing.
You’ve also featured in movies such as Forgive Me Father, Friends in Love, Timeless Passion, Widow’s Men and a host of other movies. Which of them was the most challenging?
The most challenging I’ve done so far is titled In Between Lines; it’s not on the list you mentioned. It required depth which for me was refreshing and the director pushed me to dig deep within me to pull off the character.
What strategy have you put in place to ensure you make your mark on the movie scene, considering the fact that there are a host of other talents out there?
I’m focusing on always improving my acting skills and I try to be as natural as possible. I don’t focus on my competitors; in fact, I love competition. I think it keeps you aware that you have to be a step ahead and always give your best shot.
How were you able to convince your mum who was not really in support of your intention to become an actress?
I didn’t do much convincing. I think once she had seen the work I had done, it simply won her over. She is my number one fan now.
Could you recall your early years in the UK?
I only just moved back to Nigeria in 2011, so it’s all very fresh…
What future do you see for yourself in the coming years?
I see a brighter future for my career; I want to be at the top of the league as an actress and producer locally and internationally.
So you are looking at producing your own films in the future?
Yes, I am working on it and the scripts are nearly 100% ready now. I have two movies I want to produce at the moment and just thinking about them puts a smile on my face. Expect something exciting from me soon.
Are you a stereotyped actress?
I don’t think I am a stereotyped actress; I can give whatever interpretation is needed of a character.
What kind of roles have you been presented with as an actress?
So far, I’ve played a widow, a spoilt 18-year-old brat, a super-rich movie star, a money-grabbing model and a husband snatcher.
What’s your fashion signature?
I don’t really have a fashion signature. My dress pattern is mainly determined by how I feel and what hairstyle I have on at any given time.
What is the greatest lesson that life has taught you?
Life has taught me to be patient. I’m one of the most impatient people I know, but I think with age and maturity, I have come to realise that things won’t come as and when you want them. So you have to exercise lots of patience for the Lord’s timing and when it does happen, you’ll appreciate it a lot more.
How ready are you for the scandals and many controversies that come with the job?
(Laughs) I won’t say I’m exactly ready for them but I sure am very conscious that some element of controversy comes with this business. I’m a big girl, so I’m sure I can handle whatever controversy that comes my way with God’s grace
How do you handle advances from fans and admirers?
I can assure you I have come across a lot of them. It has been great; the fans and admirers that I’ve come across have been very pleasant and lovely. In return, I give back exactly the same attitude because one good turn deserves another.
What kind of man will make you go weak in the knees?
(Laughs) That should be Leonardo Di Caprio, He’s a man’s man I think. From what I’ve seen of him on screen, I want to believe he knows how to look after his woman. Who knows, I might be wrong but it is Leonardo for me any day.
Are you thinking of getting married anytime soon?
I would say yes; marriage is in my consciousness, so watch this space. Something may happen before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment